Questions for candidates
Stonewall has worked with police forces across Britain to improve their response to homophobic hate crimes. We’ve published groundbreaking research which, for the first time, reliably demonstrated the extent and nature of homophobic hatred in England and Wales.
While police forces have made some progress, far more still needs to be done to deliver policing services that meet the needs and expectations of local lesbian, gay and bisexual people. Police and Crime Commissioners will play a central role in deciding the priorities and budgets of the police.
We are calling on lesbian, gay and bisexual people across Britain to contact their local candidates to ask them the following questions:
- How will you encourage people to report homophobic hate crimes?
- What will you do to improve the investigation of homophobic hate crimes?
- How will you support local schools to tackle homophobic attitudes amongst young people?
- What will you do to recruit and retain gay staff to reflect the diversity of the local community?
You can also:
Click here to find out who is standing as a PCC candidate in your local area.
- Encourage your friends and family to contact candidates too
- Send our e-postcard to your local candidates
- Tell candidates about your experiences of homophobic hate in your community
- Attend local hustings and question candidates
- Promote gay-friendly candidates through social media
- Use your vote on 15 November!