Taking a discrimination claim to court
Log in
What you can do

Taking a claim to court

How to take a goods, facilities or service discrimination claim to court

If you have been discriminated against and you are unable to resolve the situation directly with the service provider in a satisfactory way, then you could take a claim to a county court. A court will expect you to have taken all reasonable steps to resolve your complaint before starting court action.

Making a claim through the court

You should start proceedings in a county court for the district in which the service provider lives or works, or where the discrimination took place. You will need to make a claim within 6 months of the discrimination.

If you wish to bring a claim, you must send or take all of the following to the court:

  • one copy of a claim form (called form N1) for the court, for you and for each defendant
  • one copy of the particulars of claim for the court, for you and for each defendant (unless you have included the details of your claim on the claim form)
  • the court fee
  • a stamped self-addressed envelope, if the proceedings are being issued through the post.

How much does it cost?

It does cost money to go to court. The fee you have to pay depends on the amount you are claiming, including interest. There are some exemptions for paying court fees.

What will happen?

You will be given a hearing date, but you also have the opportunity to settle out of court before this date with the defendant. If this does not happen then you will go to trial where a judge will assess your case and decide an outcome. There is opportunity for an appeal should the decision not go your way.

For further information please contact Stonewall's Information Service on 08000 502020 or email info@stonewall.org.uk