The survey has now closed. Thank you to everyone who took part! The findings will be published on this site in due course
What’s the survey about?
If you are
- aged 11 – 19
- lesbian, gay, bi or trans (or think you might be)
- at school or college in England, Scotland or Wales (or have recently left)
we want to know what life in Britain is like for you
- There are questions about school or college, social and home life, and about other things, like the role models that inspire you and your future plans
- There are also some other questions about you and where you live and study
Who is carrying out the survey and why?
- The survey is being carried out for Stonewall (which campaigns for equality for lesbian, gay, bi and trans (LGBT) people) by researchers in The Centre for Family Research at the University of Cambridge
- Five years ago, Stonewall carried out a big study about lesbian, gay and bi young people in Britain and used the information to work to improve things
- This survey will tell us what’s changed and what still needs to be done to make things better and for the first time, will also tell us about the experiences of trans young people
Is the survey anonymous?
- Yes - we will not ask for your name or any details that would make you identifiable
- Your individual responses will only be seen by researchers at The Centre for Family Research
- We might use quotes from your written responses but you will not be identified in any way
How do I complete the survey?
The survey is now closed.
Do I have to answer all the questions?
- We’d like you to, but if there are some you’d rather not answer, you don’t have to
- You can stop part way through and return to it, as long as you are using the same device
- If you change your mind about taking part you can just stop - we won’t use any of the information you’ve given us
What if I need the survey in another format?
We’ll do what we can to help with a different format, translation or a person to help you fill it in. Please contact us if you want to talk about this.
What will you do with my survey?
- The information will be used to write a report to be published in 2017
- We'll talk to different organisations responsible for the well-being of young people (e.g. schools and the UK government) about what life in Britain is like for LGBT young people
- We'll work to improve any worrying things we find out about
Are there any risks in taking part?
Some of the questions might be upsetting if they make you think about difficult things that have happened to you. We have listed organisations at the end of the survey that might be able to help if you want to talk. You can also contact us with any questions.