It is important that all schools in an Academy Trust offer an inclusive and supportive learning environment for their students. Academy Trusts are in a position to support their schools through developing clear policies and procedures to promote inclusion and tackle homophobic, biphobic and transphobic (HBT) bullying.
What should Academy Trusts do?
To assess if your Academy Trust is fully inclusive, complete our free online audit now at and receive feedback from a member of our dedicated team.
Your Trust should be offering the following support to its schools:
- States that HBT bullying and language will not be tolerated
- Explains what it is, who it affects and how to record it
- Advises how to prevent and tackle it
An inclusive curriculum
- Celebrates same-sex families
- Showcases LGBT role models
- Meets the needs of LGBT pupils
- On celebrating difference and talking about different families
- On tackling HBT bullying and language
- On supporting LGBT pupils
- Involving pupils in anti-bullying work
- Celebrating diversity
- Supporting and including LGBT young people
- Including pupils with same-sex parents
Education Champions programme
If your Academy Trust doesn't offer this support, Stonewall can help. Stonewall works with Academy Trusts through our Education Champions programme. Through this your trust can receive bespoke advice and support, resources and training to tackle HBT bullying and language, build an inclusive environment and support LGBT young people.