It is three years since the Government announced plans to improve legal recognition for trans people in England and Wales, and two years after launching a consultation.
You may have seen some worrying reports in the press that the government may be slowing progress on trans rights in England and Wales, including rumours of regressive action that would see trans people further marginalised in society.
If accurate, these would be another blow for our community at this difficult time. You can read Stonewall’s response here.
We have a short window where all of us who support trans equality can influence the Prime Minister and persuade him to improve legal recognition for trans people. Please take action to keep the pressure on the Government to support trans equality.
Got 10 minutes?
The most powerful thing you can do is write an email to the Prime Minister to outline your concerns about recent press reports, show your support for trans equality and urge the Government to give trans people the support and recognition they deserve.
- Say why you are getting in touch – mention that you are concerned about worrying reports in the press that the government may be slowing progress on trans rights in England and Wales, including rumours of regressive action that would see trans people further marginalised in society.
- Say why trans equality matters to you.
- If you are trans, consider talking about why legal recognition is important to you and the negative impact that reducing access to single sex spaces could have on your day to day life.
- If you are cis, talk about why trans equality matters to you and why you support trans people’s existing access to single-sex facilities that they’ve had for over a decade under the Equality Act.
- Highlight that the GRA reforms would simply have made many trans people’s lives easier. Similar changes were made in Ireland five years ago with no negative effects reported.
Got 2 minutes?
If you are a cis woman, please consider:
- Joining the #NotInMyName conversation on Twitter like our CEO Nancy Kelley has.
- Signing this open letter to Women and Equality Minister, Liz Truss MP alongside thousands of other cis women.
Got 1 minute?
Share this Twitter thread with your followers and encourage them to take action today.