for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equality

What's a public service?

Stonewall Scotland launches a guide for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people to getting the most out of services you pay for.

Public services are just that: services provided by the government to the public. Many of these services are provided by local government – known as the local authority, or the Council – and everyone who lives in a certain area is entitled to benefit from the services provided by this organisation. Many people don’t think their local Council does much for them, but in the grand scheme of things, lots of decisions which can affect you and facilities you can use are decided by or managed by your local Council on behalf of the whole community.

Public services provided by a Council can be social work services and care homes, schools, housing associations, fostering and adoption services, swimming pools and leisure centres, libraries, parks and gardens, street cleaning services, museums and art galleries, recycling and waste disposal, some licensed taxis and minicabs, trading standards, building and planning applications, and many more.

This guide explains what you as an lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) person can expect from a local Council.

To download the guide, click on the link below:

(not displayed)

(will appear on this page)

(will appear on this page)

E-newsletter signup

Info bank