Education Champions Scotland
Stonewall Scotland's Education Champions programme provides bespoke support and guidance to local authorities in tackling homophobia and homophobic bullying in their local schools.
Stonewall GB launched their Education Champions programme following the huge success of Stonewall and Stonewall Scotland's Diversity Champions programme, Britain's good practice forum in which employers can work with us to improve the workplace experience of their LGB staff and realise the business benefits as a result. The programme, launched in 2001, now has over 600 members.
For a list of the Education Champions members click here. If your local authority is not already a member and you would like to encourage them to join, you can download this template letter to send to your local authority.
Stonewall Scotland are now pleased to launch their Education Champions Scotland programme, so that local authorities in Scotland can also benefit from the service and receive additional, bespoke support in tackling homophobic bullying in Scotland's schools. As part of the Education Champions Scotland programme, local authorities work more closely with us and each other to establish ways in which they can address homophobic bullying and promote a safe and inclusive learning environment for all young people.Key benefits of being a Stonewall Scotland Education Champion:
- Exclusive action plan and benchmarking exercise
- Free and exclusive access to two seminars per year
- Stonewall Scotland representation at two local events or meetings a year
- Use of the Stonewall Scotland's Education Champions logo to publicly demonstrate commitment to tackling homophobic bullying
- Named Stonewall Scotland point of contact for support and guidance
- Access to best practice from local authorities across Scotland and Britain
- Networking opportunities with other local authorities
- Priority access to Stonewall's latest research and publications
- Regular e-bulletin providing information and updates on the work being done by Education Champions Scotland
Why join the Education Champion programme?
- Homophobic bullying is endemic in Britain's schools. Stonewall research conducted in 2007 demonstrated that almost two thirds of lesbian, gay and bisexual pupils in secondary schools have experienced homophobic bullying. Furthermore homophobic bullying doesn't only affect lesbian, gay and bisexual young people; any young person perceived as 'different' or gay or who has gay friends and family may also experience homophobic bullying.
- Tackling homophobic bullying in schools doesn't have to be difficult. Schools which take a zero-tolerance approach to homophobic bullying and ensure that staff have the confidence and support they need to tackle it, provide safe and positive learning environments for all children and young people. In schools that say homophobic bullying is wrong, gay young people are 60 per cent more likely not to have been bullied. Addressing homophobic bullying is easier with support. Our Education Champions Scotland Programme helps local authorities provide this support to schools.
- Local authorities have an important role to play in addressing homophobia and homophobic bullying. They provide a guiding role for their schools, bring their local schools together to share good practice and take the lead in disseminating information to assist their schools in addressing homophobic bullying. The Education Champions Scotland framework for action will help local authorities to reflect on their existing good practice and build on their work to tackle these issues in their schools.
What do Stonewall Scotland's Education Champions do?
- Encourage leadership
- Provide a guiding role for schools
- Consult with a range of stakeholders
- Develop policies
- Share information on best practice
- Promote a positive learning environment
- Celebrate achievements
Membership of the Education Champions Scotland programme is £1500 per year, and is based on an initial joining period of two years. If your local authority is already a Stonewall Scotland Diversity Champion, membership is at a reduced rate of £1250 per year.
If you would like more information on Stonewall's Scotland's Education Champions programme please contact:
Tel: 0131 474 6197