The Stonewall Leadership Programme is a unique opportunity for LGBT professionals to explore what it means to be an authentic leader while giving you the space to reflect on the relationship between your identity as an LGBT person and your leadership performance in the workplace. The next programme will be in November 2016.
At Stonewall we know that being lesbian, gay, bi or trans is just another layer of our identity. We are each made up of different components and our experiences and background influence how we show up in the workplace and more importantly, how we act as leaders.
Now in its 11th year, the Stonewall Leadership Programme is underpinned by the notion that people perform better when they can be themselves. Having visible role models, especially those who we don’t ordinarily see, is crucial to changing workplaces. The programme focuses on the idea that the most effective leaders are able to be themselves in their approach and explores how sexual orientation and gender identity relate to this.
How it works
The Stonewall Leadership Programme is a CPD accredited intensive two-day residential, which offers a selected group of 36 professionals a powerful opportunity to:
- reflect on how their identity as an LGBT person impacts on their role as a leader in the workplace.
- find out for themselves what it means to be a leader.
- explore how they can be a more effective organisational role model.
- network and forge on-going relationships with other lesbian, gay, bi and trans professionals from the private, public and third sectors.
What you can expect to get out of the Leadership Programme
The Stonewall Leadership Programme is designed to enable each delegate to transform their own leadership in a way that is highly personal to them in the specific context of their workplace.
Individuals who participate in the Stonewall Leadership Programme report immediately, at the six-month reunion and beyond:
- Improved confidence to transform their own leadership
- Greater feelings of assertiveness and self-belief
- Intrinsic clarity about personal career and development drivers
- Motivation to become a visible and influential role model within the organisation
- Self-driven career navigation and vertical promotion
Employers that enable staff to attend the programme benefit in the following ways:
- Accelerate the achievement of inclusivity through individual leadership development
- Having LGBT leaders who are able to be themselves in the workplace provides a clear indication that others are encouraged to be themselves too. This benefits the organisation since people perform better when they can be themselves
- Providing career and personal development opportunities to LGBT staff enables them to reach their potential and encourages diverse talent at senior levels
- With LGBT staff motivated to be more visible and influential as leaders, you see the transformative impact of inclusive leadership in your workplace
Year after year, 100% of delegates have rated the programme excellent or very good overall and in 2014, 97% said they fully or mostly achieved what they had hoped from the programme.
I have been challenged, moved and humbled in equal measure. Thank you for this privilege.
Sam Truelove, Royal Navy
How to apply
We are not currently accepting applications to the leadership programme. This will open next Spring for the programme in November 2016.
Stonewall Diversity Champions rate: £1,255 + VAT
Full rate: £1,905 + VAT
Please note that we strongly encourage participants to arrive on the night of Wednesday 25 November for networking opportunities and dinner.
Programme rates include the following:
- Two-day residence at Fanhams Hall, including overnight accommodation on Wednesday and Thursday
- All meals and refreshments including evening reception dinner on Wednesday and Thursday
- The two-day programme itself
- Attendance at the six-month reunion including lunch and refreshments