Stonewall today publishes its Top 100 Employers 2012, showcasing Britain's best employers for gay staff, featuring 12 Welsh employers.
For the fourth year running it names Environment Agency Wales as the best place to work in Wales for lesbian, gay and bisexual people in 2012. The second best placed Welsh employer is Lloyds Banking Group and the National Assembly for Wales comes third.
The Top 100 Employers list is based on the results of Stonewall’s Workplace Equality Index which assesses a range of key indicators including a staff satisfaction survey of over 7,500 lesbian, gay and bisexual employees.
Other high performing Welsh employers include the Office for National Statistics, who enter the Top 100 for the first time. In another first all four Police forces in Wales have secured positions on Stonewall’s list.
The full results of the 2012 Stonewall Top Employers list will be announced at a reception tonight (January 11) in London hosted by Ernst & Young. A celebration of the success of Welsh employers takes place on 19/01/12 at Cardiff University.
‘For the first time just over one in eight of the most gay-friendly employers in Britain is Welsh. These employers include the private sector, local government, the third sector and government agencies. What unites them is a clear commitment to making the Welsh workplace better for all staff, demonstrated through their active membership of our Diversity Champions programme.’ says Andrew White, Director of Stonewall Cymru. ‘As leading employers they believe that people perform better when they can be themselves.’
Chris Mills, Director, Environment Agency Wales, said:
“I am once again delighted and very proud that we have been named top employer in Wales for the fourth year in a row.
“It is important to us that our staff are happy in their job and feel comfortable enough to be themselves in the workplace.
“I am honoured that we have been recognised by Stonewall Cymru for this achievement.”
Contact: James Lawrence, Communications Officer, 020 7593 1857 / 07985 439 660
1. Case studies and interviews available on request
2. The full top 100 can be found at http://www.stonewall.org.uk/wei from 11/01/12 at 16:00
3. The top ten Welsh employers in Stonewall’s Workplace Equality Index 2012 are Environment Agency Wales (16), Lloyds Banking Group (18), National Assembly for Wales (20) South Wales Police (23) North Wales Police (30) Crown Prosecution Service (45) Victim Support (45) Cardiff University (49) Cardiff Council (56) Office for National Statistics (56)
4. Stonewall's Diversity Champions good practice programme has 600 members across Britain. They employ over five million people between them. Recent new members of the programme include Sport Wales, Aberystwyth University and Wendy Hopkins Family Law Practice
5. The 2003 Employment Equality (Sexual Orientation) Regulations made workplace discrimination against gay people illegal, and was brought together with other equality legislation in the Equality Act 2010. In spite of the regulations, Stonewall routinely receives calls to our Info Service from people facing workplace discrimination. Employment tribunals can award unlimited compensation to people who face harassment at work on grounds of their sexual orientation.
6. Stonewall is the gay equality charity founded in 1989. www.stonewall.org.uk
7. Stonewall Cymru is the all-Wales lesbian, gay and bisexual equality charity founded in 2003. www.stonewallcymru.org.uk
During office hours please call:
029 20 237744
If you have an urgent media enquiry outside office hours please call 07779 359 704
If you are a journalist and wish to be added to Stonewall Cymru's media contacts list, please contact cymru@