NHS  Fertility Treatment Funding for Same-Sex Couples

For many the first place to go for information about fertility treatment is their GP. They can give you advice on the services available, help with health checks and advise you whether you'll be eligible for NHS fertility funding.

NHS funding for fertility treatment is limited for everyone and what is available varies from place to place with criteria set by each area's Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). 

Until February 2013, there was no official guidance on what NHS funding should be offered to lesbians seeking fertility treatment. Now CCG's can refer to guidelines published by the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE). This guidance offers NHS trusts best practice for the assessment and treatment of people with fertility problems. For the first time these guidelines set out what same-sex female couples can expect when looking for fertility treatment.

Download Stonewall's NHS Fertility Treatment Guide
Visit the NICE website to view full details
More details about your parenting rights can be found here 

Stonewall has published on its website details for the criteria set by each CCG in England for same sex female couples. To find details for your area please click on the relevant link below.

In addition to this specific criteria couples will also need to meet the general criteria set by each CCG.  The Infertility Network has published these details on their website here.

East of England

East Midlands 


North East England 

North West England 

South East England 

South West England 

West Midlands 

Yorkshire and Humber    

If you work for a CCG and would like to amend or update any details please contact Stonewall at info@stonewall.org.uk 


(not displayed)

(will appear on this page)

(will appear on this page)

E-newsletter signup

Info bank

If you cannot find the information you need on this website, you can call our info line on 08000 50 20 20 (Mon-Fri 9:30am - 5:30pm) and we will try to point you in the right direction.