the lesbian, gay and bisexual charity

How to complain about the police

If you feel that a police officer or member of police staff has acted inappropriately towards you, you can make a complaint about it. The complaints process for England and Wales is outlined below.

How to make a complaint

There are a number of ways you can do this. You can contact the Independent Police Complaints Commission, complain directly to the police force involved, or you can make a complaint through your local MP, Citizen's Advice Bureau, Youth Offending Team or a solicitor.

In the majority of cases your complaint will be dealt with by the Professional Standards Department of the police force involved. All forces have such a department. Your complaint will be recorded by the department and then a decision will be made as to how best deal with your complaint. The different ways in which a complaint might be dealt with are outlined below.

Local Resolution
This is the simplest way to resolve a complaint, but you must agree to local resolution before it can go ahead. You cannot be forced to use this procedure and should not feel under pressure to do so.

The police officer in charge of your complaint will get in touch to talk to you about your complaint. You will need to tell them what happened, how you feel about it, and what result you would like to see. You will then need to agree on a process for resolving the matter. This might involve communication with the person your complaint was about.

Local resolution will not lead to misconduct proceedings against an individual police officer or member of police staff. However, they might receive training, advice or further support as a result of the resolution.

Results of a local resolution process might include:

  • An apology
  • Information or an explanation to clear up a misunderstanding
  • A letter explaining what has been done following your complaint to prevent it happening again and how the police force has learnt from it
  • Action by a manager to change the way an officer or staff member behaves

If the police do not follow the local resolution process which you agreed then you can appeal to the Independent Police Complaints Commission. There are time limits in which to submit your appeal. You cannot appeal against local resolution if you disagree with the end result.

Police Investigation
If the complaint is not suitable for local resolution, or if you do not want to go through local resolution, then the Professional Standards Department will appoint an officer to investigate your complaint. The investigating officer will tell you how the complaint will be investigated, what they need from you, how a decision will be reached, and what action will be taken.

You can appeal to the Independent Police Complaints Commission about the outcome of a police investigation in the following circumstances:

You have not received enough information about the findings of the investigation or about what action the police plan to take.

IPCC investigation
If the complaint is more serious, the Professional Standards Department will refer your complaint to the IPCC. Situations where this might be appropriate include:

  • When someone has died or been seriously injured after contact with the police
  • Serious assault by a member of the police service
  • Serious corruption
  • Criminal offence or behaviour aggravated by discriminatory behaviour

The IPCC may decide to conduct a supervised, managed, or independent investigation.

IPCC supervised investigation
This will be conducted and controlled by the police but supervised by the IPCC. The outcome can be appealed.

IPCC managed investigation
This will be conducted by the police but controlled by the IPCC. The outcome cannot be appealed.

IPCC independent investigation
This will be conducted by IPCC investigators into incidents of the greatest level of public concern, which have the greatest potential to impact on communities, or have serious implications for the reputation of the police service. The outcome cannot be appealed.

For more information about these processes or to make a complaint online, please see the Independent Police Complaints Commission website, at

 back to top

Police indifference

My Civil union partner and I are victims of cruel hate crimes in West Berkshire. The Thames valley police have closed ranks when we dare to go to the IPCC about their total indifference towards us regarding criminal damage, hate crime against us as gay men living as partners. We have been informed by a Thames valley police officer that the reason why the police are slow to react is because of our complaints against them. We are forced no to look at moving, after being run out of this small area. I am disabled physically and mentally and the West Berkshire police have been extremely cruel and defensive towards us. As for the IPCC well they are far from "Independent!" and always take the police side we have found alas! ;(

Gary, 03 January 2011

(not displayed)

(will appear on this page)

(will appear on this page)

E-newsletter signup

Info bank

If you cannot find the information you need on this website, you can call our info line on 08000 50 20 20 (Mon-Fri 9:30am - 5:30pm) and we will try to point you in the right direction.