the lesbian, gay and bisexual charity

What to do if you have been discriminated against

Inevitably, even now the laws are in place there will be some cases of discrimination, and the action you take will often depend on what organisation has been discriminatory.

Firstly, you could try to resolve the matter directly with the organisation involved. If this is a hotel, for example, you could write to the manager, and possibly to their head office. If you have been discriminated against by an NHS service, you will need to use the NHS complaints procedure.

If there is a relevant regulatory body, you could also get in touch with them. For example, you could get in touch with the local tourist board for a hotel, or the Financial Services Ombudsman if you are complaining about a financial service provider.

If you're unable to resolve the matter in this way, you could pursue a case in the county court in England and Wales or the sheriff court in Scotland. Where discrimination is found to have taken place, the court can award financial compensation.

(not displayed)

(will appear on this page)

(will appear on this page)

E-newsletter signup

Info bank

If you cannot find the information you need on this website, you can call our info line on 08000 50 20 20 (Mon-Fri 9:30am - 5:30pm) and we will try to point you in the right direction.